Arriving in the US

We travelled from Athens at 6:30 a.m. and arrived in San Francisco at 1 p.m. the same day.  Amazing!  We were very excited!  My brother and sister-in-law had come to the airport to pick us up and were waiting in a cellphone waiting parking lot--where you can wait until the passenger calls to say they are there.

 
We got our phone at to call and it was dead.  So we had to get the power back-up out of the luggage and charge the phone and then turn it on to find out there was no roaming in SF from our Zimbabwe phone!  So I ran to a pay phone to call and you need 2 quarters!  I had one but no other change because in Zimbabwe even though we are in US $ we don't use US change.  I tried to call collect and cellphones can't except collect calls!!  Now it is 45 minutes later and we are trying to figure out what to do!!  Then we finally found a place selling US sim cards for $90 and we got that and 3 months free calls--so we were finally able to call them and they came to pick us!  Wow--welcome to America!


That night we had dinner with my brother, sister, nephew and his wife and 2 kids, and my Zimbabwe sister Sylvia.  The weather was warm in the mid-90's when we arrived so we liked that.


Thursday morning my forwarding agent Sue came by and took us shopping for the day--and we shopped!  She took us to lunch and we had a wonderful time.


The next day we did more shopping and had Family Game night at my nephew's new house.  They moved to a new house 2 months ago so we got a chance to see the new house.  Then there were 12 of us to play games.


On Saturday we left for Sacramento about 100 miles away and we stayed with Rose and Bob Coibion. Our great friends who have been to Chidamoyo several times.  We had a wonderful time with them and enjoyed swimming in their pool.


Sunday morning we were at Adventure Church of Natomos and enjoyed meeting many old friends and supporters.  We had lunch with their team that came last year to visit us at Chidamoyo and the mission team.  Major got a First Aid kit that had a case of Snicker bars in it for him!  He loved that First Aid!


We came home on Monday and have been busy seeing friends and shopping!  Yesterday we went to Sebastopol to participate in the telemedicine project that Rotary is doing.  We met with fellow participants from DRC and Nigeria and talked about our experiences.  We leave tomorrow for 3 1/2 weeks away as we leave for our weekend in Wichita, Kansas.


Keep praying for the hospital.  They have been very busy!  Pray for us as we travel.  I came down with a bad cold the second day we were here--which has now moved down to a cough, but slowly I am feeling better.  Hope to see you somewhere on the way!

 We flew over the Alps on our way home

 Great nephews Alec and Maximo with Sylvia's son Mapi

Major swimming



 Major and Kathy with the minister from Adventure-Scott Matthews

Brandon, Linda and Else--our group who visited us in 2014


Major's First Aid Kit--Snicker Bars



 Bob and Rose Coibion with Major

Rotary session with Dr. Jim Gude leading



Comments

  1. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Golden Motor Wheelchair

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Karma Km 2500 Wheelchair

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking cintainer, interviewing a new doctor

Enjoyable time away at Rhino Camp

Covid-19--The world has changed